Microsoft Outlook is the most popular email client around the world. It automatically imports entire information from your mail server and stores them inside the Personal Storage Table (PST). Outlook functions as a personal manager that manages and stores users day to day information including contacts, emails, notes, calendars, tasks, events in a PST file. It has been continually used in a number of companies as well as for individual purposes.
Sometimes, it happens that the PST file gets corrupted due to the impact of some unstoppable situations. If the PST file gets corrupted then your Outlook application hangs up frequently, fails to connect to your mail server and in the worst case, entire data in the PST file may get lost permanently. In such miserable conditions, Microsoft Outlook provides built-in Inbox Repair Tool for repairing the PST file. The executable program file of Inbox Repair tool is named as scanpst.exe. Outlook users run scanpst.exe tool when the application starts behaving abnormally. It resolves the Outlook errors and thus makes the application stable. But in some cases, it happens that the scanpst.exe tool gets erroneous and may display Outlook inbox repair tool not responding error. Here is an instance that illustrates the failure situation of the scanpst.exe tool. Suppose, if an Outlook user finds that the PST file is corrupted and attempts to repair damaged or corrupted PST file with this tool. After specifying the name and path of the corrupted PST file when he clicks on the “Repair” button of the scanpst.exe wizard, instead of fixing the issue the scanpst.exe tool hangs up endlessly and does not respond to a user commands. If the user opens the Windows Task Manager, he will find the application status as “Not Responding”. If he shuts down the application abnormally and restarts it to re-repair the same file, he will get the same result.
Inbox Repair Tool fails to sort out the issue if the PST file is severely corrupted on account of following reasons:
- Oversized PST File: As we all know that the size of the Outlook PST file is fixed. If the size of the PST file exceeds this predefined limit due to the accumulation of a large amount of data, then it gets corrupted. This problem is quite common in Outlook 2000 and 2003 versions, where the size of the PST file is limited to only 2GB. In such situation, you can repair 2 GB PST file using repair tool.
- Header Corruption: Header is the vital part of the PST file as it contains most important information about the PST file such as the size of the file, format under which the file is saved, the creation date of a file, etc. If the header structure of the PST file gets altered due to virus attack, sudden power surge, abnormal system shutdown leading to improper termination of Outlook, application malfunction, system malfunction then the PST file gets corrupted. Corrupted header results in inaccessibility of the file.
- Network Device Failure: Outlook PST files reside on the network server. These PST files are accessed from a client computer by using the network links. Any defects in the network devices which constitutes the network links such as hubs, interface cards etc ends up in the corruption of PST file. This is the major scenario of the PST file corruption because you cannot access the file until you fix the problem with a reliable PST file repairing tool.
- Virus Attack: Virus Attack on PST file can corrupt the file structure of the PST file and makes it unusable or inaccessible for further usage. The virus attack is the most common case in PST files as they usually spread with email attachments.
Other than this, there are dozens of reasons responsible for the corruption of PST file. If the PST file is severely corrupted then you may encounter the following error messages when you try to run scanpst.exe to fix an Outlook:
- An error has occurred which caused the scan to be stopped
- Internal errors were found in this file
- Inbox Repair tool cannot find PST file
- Scanpst.exe is in use by another program
- Inbox Repair tool fatal error 80040900
- Scnpst32.dll was not found
- Inbox Repair tool not responding
The Outlook scanpst.exe remains unopened after all these errors and tool enters into dead loops and cannot repair the file anymore. These situations demand the usage of Microsoft PST Repair utility in order to combat the problem. This tool can fix the PST file irrespective of the reason behind the corruption. The powerful scanning algorithm of this reliable utility can repair corrupted PST file of Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, and 2000 in an easy and effortless manner.
This utility can restore emails along with various Outlook objects such as contacts, calendars, tasks, RSS feeds, events, etc. from repaired PST file. It has a potential to fix search indexing errors in Outlook 2007, highly encrypted and password protected PST files within a few moments. The simple user interface of the application allows any layman to efficiently sort out corruption issues without facing any complications. This robust software can fix Outlook 2007 PST file on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 operating system.
Steps to use Microsoft Outlook PST File Repair Tool:
1: Download and install the Microsoft PST Repair utility on your PC. After launching the program, you will get a welcome window as shown in Figure 1. Select the path of the PST file where it is stored on the hard drive by using the "Browse" button.
Figure 1: Welcome Window
2: You will be opted to select the preferred scan method between "Normal Scan" and "Smart scan" for repairing corrupt PST file. Select the required scan method based on the severity of a corruption. If the PST file is severely corrupted then go for "Smart scan" if not work with "Normal Scan" as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Select Scan Method
3: Upon selecting the desired scan method, set the destination path and click on "Repair" button to initiate the repairing process. Once the repair process is finished, you will get a list of recovered items in Outlook styled browser as shown in Figure 3. Evaluate the chances of recovery using the preview option. If you are satisfied with the results purchase the software to save the repaired PST file.
Figure 3: Repaired PST File